Accessibility and Inclusion Plan
The Group first lodged an Accessibility and Inclusion Plan with the Australian Human Rights Commission in 2004, in recognition of the diverse needs of the communities in which we operate.
Our Accessibility and Inclusion Plan has been developed to provide structures for improving customer access to our services and an accessible and inclusive work environment for people with disability.
To ensure its success, our plan is actively supported by our Diversity Council, which is made up of our CEO and Executive Committee and has been developed in consultation with community, disability groups and a broad representation of internal stakeholders.
The Plan is implemented by a group of subject matter experts and business leaders, who have responsibility and accountability for the implementation of the actions and projects.
We are focusing on four strategic areas in the next two years:
- Customer service actions
- Accessible technology and information
- Accessible and inclusive workplace
- Community engagement and partnerships
We are pleased to share the following outcomes and achievements attained and we are looking forward to continuing work on these areas to improve equity and access for people with a disability:
- Completed phase two of our ATM Refresh plan installing audio enabled functionality across the ATM Network.
- Accessibility was considered when updating CommBank’s websites, using Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and ABA’s Voluntary Standards for electronic banking on a project by project basis.
- Ensured all new office buildings and branches are fully accessible and continued to upgrade accessibility in existing branch premises, subject to building heritage and site constraints.
- Considered accessibility and the ABA Standards when designing new EFTPOS terminals for CommBank’s EFTPOS fleet. Conducted consultation with customers with a range of disabilities to help inform and test a more accessible design.
- Delivered the Enable Mentoring Program providing opportunities to over 60 external job seekers with disability.
- Implemented the mental health support strategy to create a more inclusive and supportive workplace for those with a mental health condition.
- Developed ‘RecruitAbility’, a guaranteed interview scheme for job seekers with disability, with the support of the Australian Public Service Commission. This program was launched as a pilot within the Wealth Management business in September 2014. If successful, it will be rolled out across CommBank in mid-2015.
- Established a Disability Employee Network ‘Enable’ in June 2013. It now has over 430 members.
- Worked with the National Disability Recruitment Coordinator (NDRC) to develop and deliver disability awareness training to recruiters. The NDRC have also supported promotion of ‘RecruitAbility program and other job vacancies via the Disability Employment Service Network.
Through the Accessibility and Inclusion Plan, we have a clear plan to continue raising awareness, improving access to financial services and employment opportunities and tapping into our networks and partnerships to support our work.
View the Group's Accessibility and Inclusion Plan.